Saturday, March 15, 2008

Event Review: Appel and Frank

On Thursday, March 13, my roommate Kristi and I went to check out the Spring Appel and Frank event in San Francisco. I had read about it in the SFWeekly and the word fashion made me think it might be something I could write about. (Especially a good way to kick off this project!) Neither of us really knew what to expect, but research told me I could expect free wine, a goody bag, and lots of talented, local designers. And that is more or less what we found.

Kristi and I showed up right at 5pm, anxious to receive one of the 400 gift bags. We had no problem, there were only about 50 people there, although by the time we left at 7pm The Regency Center's Sutter Room was fairly crowded. The designers ranged from beautiful handmade clothing to kitschy, original ideas, such as bags for yoga mats. Jewelry seemed the most prominent item being sold, I was a little disappointed there weren't more clothes.

The goody bags held lots of fun stuff, including a $10 gift certificate from Shock Cosmetics. Both Kristi and I enjoyed their makeup line and came away with pretty new eye shadows. I also purchased a candle from Scandleous. The scent I bought is "Sophia", named for the owner's daughter and amaretto scented. My last purchase was a gorgeous long coat from Effie's Heart. Kimo, creator of Effie's Heart, has some really great designs, many of the fabrics feel soft and flexible without being too casual.

Kimo (right), creator of "Effie's Heart" with a fellow shopper. (I snagged one of those beautiful red coats you can see behind her.)

My favorite designer of the event was Mignonette. Creator Kpoene has some absolutely gorgeous designs. While talking I felt she was passionate about fitting all different body types and really enjoys her work. Kpoene has recently moved here from Brooklyn and has a new line arriving in April. Also check out the designs by her partner, Sarah Zins. I hope to own a few pieces from these talented ladies in the near future!

Kpoene of "Mignonette" with one of her lovely designs!

Well thats all about Appel and Frank! It was worth going. Both Kristi and I had fun. If you buy tickets ahead of time they are 2 for $15 which is worthwhile for a gift bag, wine, and a fun time. I can't say that it was the most affordable event, but if you want something special it is a great place to find just that. Many of the designers offer a discount for this event only and of course, it's supporting someone local!

No comments: